[USML Announce] Eric (Mr. B) Karabell on How Kerber Screwed Winick and Robbins

Andy Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 12:59:52 EDT 2013

I'll grant that Theo seemed to get what he could in the trade -- Garza is a
free agent, so it was get something now or get nothing if Theo was
determined not to sign Garza to a new deal.

But why not sign him?  He's still relatively young, and the Cubs have a
good core of starters plus two of their supposed building blocks (Rizzo and
Castro) in place.  The idea that good players in their late 20s are too old
for the Cubs' competitive horizon is depressing.

I'll stand by my Jerry Krause analogy.  The Bulls stumbled into Jordan
(thank you, Portland!)  And Krause made one good deal (for Pippin).  Then
he thought he was smarter than everyone else and ran the franchise into the
ground after Jordan left.  Theo stumbled into a championship in Boston (*not
*by dumping for five years and signing teenagers, but by buying decent
ballplayers), and now he's like Krause in annointing himself a genius and
playing wild games with his new toy franchise.  I hope I'm wrong, but can't
see it ending well ...