[USML Announce] Notice of Hot Wax Seal

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:37:03 EDT 2013

Hey y'all:
  I was at the Sox game last night (don't ask why, but I'm a Sox fan
dadgummit!) and saw Chris "Now Batting .182" Young play. Let's just say he
does not make much contact.

And in regards to One Homer Hosmer, here's what Kerbs read before he
insisted that Winick take Hosmer back in order to obtain Valverde:

     From espn:
                                      But Hosmer can't hit a fastball. In
an excellent subscription
piece<https://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20731>on
Baseball Prospectus, Sam Miller wrote about watching a week of Hosmer
at-bats. His conclusion:

Hosmer is consistently late on fastballs. In seven days, I saw Hosmer foul
off 18 pitches, and my recollection is that one of them—a slider that he
dribbled toward the first-base dugout—was pulled. Nearly without fail, the
rest were fastballs that he popped foul into the left-field stands or,
occasionally, lined sharply toward the third-base dugout. Part of this is
approach—as noted, he goes the other way—but the frequency of foul pop-ups
on fastballs points to an inability to catch up and get on top of these
pitches.

I've written before about Hosmer's inability to hit fastballs. It could be
a mechanical thing. It could just be that he can't react to good fastballs.
It could be his approach, and maybe that's why Maloof and David are no
longer here. If they *were* telling their guys to go the opposite field,
that's a problem. Yes, that's *part* of being a good major league hitter,
but the majority of home runs are pulled. If you can't pull the ball,
you're not going to hit many home runs. Not every hitter has the strength
of Ryan Howard <http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6097/ryan-howard> or Miguel
Cabrera <http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/5544/miguel-cabrera>. And while
the San Francisco
Giants<http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants>proved
last year that home runs aren't the only way to score runs, the
Royals are 14th in the AL in walks, so if you're not getting on base and
not hitting home runs, your offense is going to stink.

--So, kudos to Jeffrey and best wishes to Rick G.....meanwhile my scalp is
flaking from all the head scratching I've done.....
---Brad Lee Bewildered