[USML Announce] Pippin's Nothing But A Dog - First Installment

Jeffrey Winick jhwinick at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 23:03:30 EDT 2013

 More details coming, but here's the bottom line:

The top two teams are Berliners and Red Hots - both will be in the drivers seat this season.  Weaknesses for the Red Hots are 2nd catcher (Hayes) and 5th outfielder (Sweeney).  Two slots that he ought to have little trouble filling with a dump trade or two.  But what is he going to dump?  Best keepers are Darvish and Wilhelmson but they are going to be hard to replace.  Zunino is a nice bean, but we all know how bean catchers generally do.  However, this team is solid and will be in it to win it.

Berliners have a quintessential Shandler team, but with a number of question marks - Parmalee, Lowrie, Young, Scott, Bailey, Tillman and Danks to be precise.  If they perform as hoped, Berliners are the team to beat.  If they struggle, Berliners have lots of work to do.  But the Berliners have plenty of players to trade:  Hosmer, Machado, Jennings, Peavy, Moore and Buxton.  Definitely in it to win it.

The only other team that looks like a serious challenger is, believe it or not, the Bombers.  No real holes other than Alexi Casilla, which isn't a big deal.  Great balance and if he gets lucky with his pitchers (Hughes, Santana, Strailey), he will be in serious contention for the Damon.  Of course, Mark's well known reluctance to pull the trigger on a deal will be an impediment, but there's no question this was an outstanding draft for the Bombers.

Other contenders, in order of strength are: Hoosier Daddies, Skippies, Riptorns and Klein Nine.  I'll provide further details tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.  The shop is open and the Berliners are ready to rock and roll.