[USML Announce] Berliners/AFV Trade

Dennis Adams dadams17 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 14:10:35 EDT 2015

Mr. K,

I think you are perhaps underestimating what I got back in that deal.
Let's take it player by player who I got back...

*Moncada*:  Agree that Moncada is a Cuban prospect whose career is not off
to an auspicious start.  However, he's 19 and the raw talent is there.  He
was, however, a throw in to the deal to finalize it.

*Burns*:  Definitely a speed guy, and perhaps a little pricey, but he's a
pretty significant contributor in the runs, steals, and avg category at the
moment.  Again, not someone who was a focal point of this transaction.  For
me, this deal was all about these next three guys...

*Betts*:  To say Betts is just a speed guy is a severe understatement of
not only his current stats, but also the type of player he projects as.
Bearing in mind this is his first full season as a starter, who despite a
rocky start, is currently hitting .270 with 8 homers and 12 steals, while
leading off for the Red Sox.  I'm paying more for what I think he will be
going forward, which is a .280 hitter, who hits 15-20 Homers, and steals
20-30 bases per season, while contending for the league lead in runs.  I
think that is a very realistic projection of his floor.  Let's throw a
player with those numbers into the draft and see what he gets purchased
for... my guess is at least $25 (guys like Leonys Martin went for $25 this
year), while i got him for $22.

*Buxton*:  Obviously more speed than anything else, but I will gladly take
a guy who is a top 3 prospect the past few seasons, and has shown an
ability in the minors to have hints of pop as well.  He could develop into
a guy who steals 40+ bases, while hitting 5-10 homers, and scoring a ton of
runs, all with a solid average.

*Gallo*: If Gallo is a "future Adam Dunn" i will gladly take that if he
gives me multiple years of 40 bombs.  Even if he does it with a .210 - .220
avg, that's pretty darn valuable in this league, particularly at a salary
of $2 and balanced by the speed and average of these other guys.

And what did i give up?  Sure, Trout and Price are studs.  But at those
salaries I wasn't going to keep them again next year given my team's
current standing and need to acquire a mass of future stars.  Tex and
Cruz?  Can mash at times, but both have propensity to slump for substantial
periods of time and drain your batting avg.  Again, wasn't keeping them so
maximized value. And Betances, i obviously love and definitely holds value
with his ratios and Ks, but he could easily lose his closer role to Miller
in a week or so.

All in all, I think the trade was totally fair in both directions.  It is
also entirely possible Jeff capitzlied on my lack of sleep and lower
inhibitions caused by my job over the past few weeks.  But, I still have
plenty of pieces to sell if anyone else is interested (VMart, Tanaka,
Gomes, etc.)

--
Dennis F. Adams III
(732) 513-8661