[USML Announce] Greetings

Richard Robbins rerobbins at itinker.net
Sat Mar 26 12:35:10 EDT 2016

Hello Friends,

I wanted you to know that I'm still around and from time to time focus a
little bit on mailing list and web site (usml.net that is) admin issues.

The problem that we've seen for a few years with handling of aol and
perhaps yahoo email to the announcement list is somewhat complicated.  As
many of you have observed, mail from these ISPs gets mapped to spam,
particularly by google based mail readers, no matter what you do.

I've been talking to Jeff and Mark B about things we might do to solve it.
So far, the alternatives I've been exploring all involve redeploying the
mailing list to another platform.  And even then, it might not work.

This morning I did some deeper research on this issue and discovered that
it's actually even more complicated than I had imagined.  At core, it has
to do with some changes that yahoo and aol made a few years back to deviate
from well established internet norms for email.

I recognize that some of you are wed to your aol/yahoo addresses and aren't
inclined to create a new gmail or other non-aol/non-yahoo  address for
league matters.  If you did that and made a point of sending your league
email from a non-aol or non-yahoo address things would work.  That's
awkward though and it's likely you'd inadvertently use your aol or yahoo
account at some point to post to the list.  But to be clear, the problem is
with aol and yahoo.

Aol and yahoo email users should know that this problem can crop up with a
variety of email readers so even if we solve this problem for the usml.net
list you will likely run into it in other areas. People will not reliably
get your messages as they should.  Besides, aol and yahoo email accounts
are so antiquated -- and not in a cool/hip/retro way.  Do you really want
to advertise how old you are? Aren't your kids embarrassed?  Not that I'm
hinting you dump those email accounts . . . Heck, we should just dump email
and move to SnapChat or something like that, but I can't figure those
things out either and my kids won't let me know what's really in anyways --
because as soon as I join the party it's deemed lame.

Just this morning I learned of a few changes I can make to the mailing list
software we use, somewhat deep in the bowels of the system, that might
help.  Then again, other stuff might break.

I just tweaked one setting as an experiment.

Let's see how things go.  If that doesn't help we can ponder other
possibilities.

I'm glad you all enjoyed a great draft and hope that the season is terrific
fun for all.