[USML Announce] Test Message 2

Richard Robbins rerobbins at itinker.net
Sun Mar 27 09:26:55 EDT 2016

Thanks Mark.

Your message via the announce list managed to pass through my email reading
spam filters and appeared in my inbox and not the spam folder.

A couple of things to note.  The setting I tweaked in the mailing list
program altered the "from field" in the text of the message so it does not
reference your complete aol email address.  Second, the reply field now
includes BOTH your email address and the announce list address.  I believe
that to be a change and to me, it's a little concerning.  Since the
inception of this list I have had it configured so that replies go to the
announce list.  I hope this change doesn't cause people to end up replying
to individuals when they intend to reply to the group.

I want to see how the system behaves for a bit and would like people who
send from aol and yahoo addresses to stress things a bit -- both by sending
top level messages and replies to messages from others.

If you want to learn more about what happened, do a google on DMARC and
toss in AOL or Yahoo.  DMARC stands for Domain-based Message
Authentication, Reporting & Conformance

AOL and Yahoo adopted what was considered a very aggressive stance on DMARC
to combat spam and which also broke legit mail distribution services like
ours.

I just learned that Google/gmail will follow suit this summer.

A new internal mail protocol called ARC which stands for Authenticated
Received Chain protocol is in the works which would allow email
intermediaries, like good list servers, to function as we'd like.

I do not know when (or if) ARC will be adopted and which service providers
will implement ARC.

I will keep an eye on this one and will not bother attempting to migrate
the mailing list service we use until there's more clarity on this issue.

-- Rich