[USML Announce] Ohtani Joins the Berliners!!

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 18:47:02 EST 2017

Actually, I don't think he (Winick) needs to decide anything now.  I think it's covered adequately by the current rules.  There's nothing to prevent a player from qualifying as both a hitter and a pitcher.  Ohtani can be either at any given time, but not both during the same transaction period, and the active roster has to meet the hitter/pitcher composition rules for each transaction period.  Winick will need to decide where to put him each week, but that's about it.  Is there any construction of the rules that gets to a different answer?

You're probably all aghast that I'm not going out of my way to interpret the rules to keep Winick from taking advantage of the way they are written, but I've gotten seriously pissed a couple of times when folks tried to do that to me.  Fair's fair, and the rules are the rules.

 Mark K