[USML Announce] THE 23rd ANNUAL COLLEGE BOWL POOL

Andy Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 19:38:03 EST 2017

The 23rd Annual College Bowl Pool

Greetings and welcome to the College Bowl Pool’s 23rd Year!

Given the large number of games – and in order to give everyone a chance to
submit picks --, we’ll start a little later this year, beginning with the
Independence Bowl on *December 27.  *Once again, we *will *include the
National Champion Game.  That means entering one of four teams as a title
game winner (Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, or Georgia) and assigning points
according to your own tolerance for risk.  Here’s a reminder on how things
work …

THE RULES

This is a confidence pool.  Pick the winners of each bowl game and weight
your confidence accordingly (i.e., 23 on the game in which you have the
most confidence down to 1 on the game in which you have the least
confidence).  *All entries must be submitted to anrklein at gmail.com
<anrklein at gmail.com> BEFORE KICKOFF OF THE INDEPENDENCE BOWL ON DECEMBER
27.   Please put the words “Bowl Pool” in the subject line of your message.*

One other note:  *Don’t pick in order* (e.g., chronologically from 1-23 or
23-1.)  That is not in the spirit of the game!

THE PARTICIPANTS

I am sending this message to players from previous years and other
potentially interested people (or at least those for whom I have an e-mail
address).  Please feel free to forward the message to others who might want
to play.

THE STAKES

The pool is for pride and charity.  NFL Pool players already have “paid”
through a gift to the Devin Shafron Memorial Fund, which is now managed by
the Chicago Community Trust.  (*And if you haven’t paid, this is an
excellent time to send your check.*)  The Fund is a foundation established
by Phyllis Shafron in memory of her son, and our friend, Devin.  Its
historical purpose has been to provide new books for Chicago public school
libraries,; more recently it has expanded to support a variety of other
youth-related causes in the Chicago area.  The foundation has raised tens
of thousands of dollars and donated to dozens of organizations in Devin’s
memory.  There are several schools that have plaques in honor of The Pool’s
contribution.  If anyone would like more information about the foundation,
or how to make a small contribution as a “fee” for the pool, let me know.

PREVIOUS CHAMPIONS

1995-1996:  Historical data lost in the Great Klein Computer Crash of '97

1997:  Mark Winick

1998:  Michelle DiOrio

1999:  Rick Gammons

2000:  Jeff Cohen

2001:  Jim DiOrio

2002:  Andy Klein

2003:  Pete Klein

2004:  Jeff Winick

2005:  Pete Klein

2006: Andy Klein

2007:  Bill Jones

2008:  Bob Schussel

2009:  Jason Klein

2010:  Sam Winick

2011:  Mark Winick

2012:  Dan Cole

2013:  Jim Weil

2014:  Ezra Blocker

2015:  Tim Klein

2016:   Sam Winick

*THE GAMES*

Independence                   Dec. 27                Florida State vs.
Southern Miss

Pinstripe                             Dec. 27                 Boston
College vs. Iowa

Foster Farms                     Dec. 27                Arizona vs. Purdue

Texas                                    Dec. 27                Texas vs.
Missouri

Military                                Dec. 28                Virginia vs.
Navy

Camping World                Dec. 28                Oklahoma State vs.
Virginia Tech

Alamo                                  Dec. 28                Stanford vs.
TCU

Holiday                                Dec. 28                Michigan
State vs. Washington State

Belk                                      Dec. 29                Wake
Forest vs. Texas A&M

Sun                                       Dec. 29                NC State
vs. Arizona State

Music City                          Dec. 29                Kentucky vs.
Northwestern

Arizona                                Dec. 29                New Mexico
State vs. Utah State

Cotton                                 Dec. 29                Ohio State
vs. USC

Taxslayer                            Dec. 30                Louisville vs.
Mississippi State

Liberty                                 Dec. 30                Iowa State
vs. Memphis

Fiesta                                   Dec. 30                Washington
vs. Penn State

Orange                                Dec. 30                Miami vs.
Wisconsin

Outback                              Jan. 1                    Michigan vs.
South Carolina

Peach                                   Jan. 1                    Auburn
vs. UCF

Citrus                                   Jan. 1                    Notre
Dame vs. LSU

Rose (CFP Semifinals)      Jan. 1                    Oklahoma vs. Georgia

Sugar (CFP Semifinals)    Jan. 1                    Clemson vs. Alabama

CFP Championship           Jan. 8                    Oklahoma/Georgia v.
Clemson/Alabama (pick one actual team)