[USML Announce] COLLEGE BOWL POOL - YEAR 24!!

Andy Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:15:06 EST 2018

The 24rd Annual College Bowl Pool

With apologies for a slow start, greetings and welcome to the College Bowl
Pool’s 24th Year!  Due to the Commissioner’s travels, we’ll start a bit
later this year, beginning with the Independence Bowl on December 27.  Once
again, we will include the National Champion Game.  That means entering one
of four teams as a title game winner (Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, or Notre
Dame) and assigning points according to your own tolerance for risk.  *We
have less than a week until the games begin, so make your picks promptly!*

Here’s a reminder on how things work …

THE RULES

This is a confidence pool.  Pick the winners of each bowl game and weight
your confidence accordingly (i.e., 23 on the game in which you have the
most confidence down to 1 on the game in which you have the least
confidence).  All entries must be submitted to anrklein at gmail.com BEFORE
KICKOFF OF THE INDEPENDENCE BOWL ON DECEMBER 27.   Please put the words
“Bowl Pool” in the subject line of your message.  And, if possible, submit
picks in the order of the games, rather than re-arranging the list in
confidence order.  This helps me expedite entering selections into Brother
Pete’s spreadsheet.  *One other note:  Don’t pick in order (e.g.,
game!  *

THE PARTICIPANTS

I am sending this message to players from previous years and other
potentially interested people (or at least those for whom I have an e-mail
address).  Please feel free to forward the message to others who might want
to play.

THE STAKES

The pool is for pride and charity.  NFL Pool players already have “paid”
through a gift to the Devin Shafron Memorial Fund, which is now managed by
the Chicago Community Trust.  (And if you haven’t paid, this is an
excellent time to send your check.)  The Fund is a foundation established
by Phyllis Shafron in memory of her son, and our friend, Devin.  Its
historical purpose has been to provide new books for Chicago public school
libraries; more recently it has expanded to support a variety of other
youth-related causes in the Chicago area.  The foundation has raised tens
of thousands of dollars and donated to dozens of organizations in Devin’s
memory.  There are several schools that have plaques in honor of The Pool’s
contribution.  If anyone would like more information about the foundation,
or how to make a small contribution as a “fee” for the pool, let me know.

PREVIOUS CHAMPIONS

1995-1996:  Historical data lost in the Great Klein Computer Crash of '97

1997:  Mark Winick

1998:  Michelle DiOrio

1999:  Rick Gammons

2000:  Jeff Cohen

2001:  Jim DiOrio

2002:  Andy Klein

2003:  Pete Klein

2004:  Jeff Winick

2005:  Pete Klein

2006: Andy Klein

2007:  Bill Jones

2008:  Bob Schussel

2009:  Jason Klein

2010:  Sam Winick

2011:  Mark Winick

2012:  Dan Cole

2013:  Jim Weil

2014:  Ezra Blocker

2015:  Tim Klein

2016:     Sam Winick

2017:     Mark Kerber/Tim Klein/Jim Weil

THE GAMES

Independence Bowl (Dec. 27): Temple vs. Duke

Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 27): Miami vs. Wisconsin

Texas Bowl (Dec. 27): Baylor vs. Vanderbilt

Music City Bowl (Dec. 28): Purdue vs. Auburn

Camping World Bowl (Dec. 28): West Virginia vs. Syracuse

Alamo Bowl (Dec. 28): Iowa State vs. Washington State

Peach Bowl (Dec. 29): No. 10 Florida vs. No. 7 Michigan

Belk Bowl (Dec. 29): South Carolina vs. Virginia

Arizona Bowl (Dec. 29): Arkansas State vs. Nevada

Cotton Bowl (Dec. 29): No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 3 Notre Dame

Orange Bowl (Dec. 29): No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oklahoma

Military Bowl (Dec. 31): Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech

Sun Bowl (Dec. 31): Stanford vs. Pittsburgh

Redbox Bowl (Dec. 31): Michigan State vs. Oregon

Liberty Bowl (Dec. 31): Missouri vs. Oklahoma State

Holiday Bowl (Dec. 31): Northwestern vs. Utah

Gator Bowl (Dec. 31): NC State vs. Texas A&M

Outback Bowl (Jan. 1): Mississippi State vs. Iowa

Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1): Kentucky vs. Penn State

Fiesta Bowl (Jan. 1): No. 11 LSU vs. No. 8 UCF

Rose Bowl (Jan. 1): No. 9 Washington vs. No. 6 Ohio State

Sugar Bowl (Jan. 1): No. 15 Texas vs. No. 5 Georgia

National Championship (Jan: 7):  Cotton Bowl Winner v. Orange Bowl Winner