[USML Announce] 2020

Andy Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:58:03 EDT 2020

I was away when the conversation started, but agree with Buddha that if MLB
completes the season, ours should count as a regular campaign with all
contracts moving along as normal.  We have done that with other odd seasons
(like strike years), though admittedly, nothing is like this one.

I am inclined toward Jeff's view that if the season is cancelled, we choose
keepers from our current (2020) rosters when we draft for 2021.  Unclear if
this means that contracts roll forward a year, and don't really have a
strong opinion on that.  Frank had suggested increasing the number of
keepers.  Interested in his view of why ... though hoping it will all be
moot.

I'm actually more optimistic today than I was last week that they will play
out the season.  The outbreaks seem to be contained to teams where players
broke protocol, and nothing suggests they are passing the virus to one
another on the field.  I also read that, overall, MLB has administered
11,000+ tests with only about 30 positives.  Surely they can figure out how
to make it work at that level.  Seems they'll have to add a few weeks to
the regular season in October to even out the number of games played, keep
rosters expanded, and prepare for the possibility of ending the season for
a team or two (like MLS did).  But there is a lot of money at stake.  Plus
the Cubs are 7-2.  So let's play on, damn it!

-Andy