[USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

Andrew R. Klein anrklein at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 08:24:06 EDT 2004

A league question.

I obtained Erick Almonte in the reserve round draft, when he was on the Yankee's roster.  He was subsequently cut and signed by Colorado.  I sought FAAB compensation ($2) for the waiver.

Mark B. correctly points out that the language of our rules (Art. XIV, 6) mentions only "trades" to the NL as triggering compensation.  My recollection is that we have always allowed compensation for anyone who is signed by a NL club during the year, whether by trade or not.

What is everyone's memory on this?  The $2 are not a big deal, but I'd like to know that we're applying the rule consistently.

Andrew R. Klein
Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
(317) 274-2099