[USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 09:06:18 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/13/2004 8:02:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
SpringKerb at aol.com writes:
I think we addressed this in the pre-season--check the e-mail archive.  My
recollection is that Barrett brought it up and we decided that only trades would
trigger compensation.  I know that when Gary Matthews, Jr. was waived and
then signed with the Padres last year, I got nothing.

I think the reasoning is that guys who get waived, as opposed to traded, are
pretty much useless.  Almonte would be a good example of that.

Mark
Actually, I brought it up.  Because there seemed to be a few people who
defended the rule (Mark K. and Rich, as I recall), and no one who sided with my
proposal for change, I didn't push it further.  It would appear that when I next
propose a change, there will be at least two votes in favor.