[USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Tue Apr 13 09:10:30 EDT 2004

Hey Jeff,

>From my perspective this was a second tier issue to be dealt with after we finished deliberations on the other matters we addressed. I've still not made up my mind on how I'd vote if it comes up in the future. I was kind of surprised that you never formalized your proposal. On the other hand, prepping for the early draft was more important. Oh well.

From: JHWinick at aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:06:06
To:announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

In a message dated 4/13/2004 8:02:39 AM Central Daylight Time, SpringKerb at aol.com writes:
I think we addressed this in the pre-season--check the e-mail archive.  My recollection is that Barrett brought it up and we decided that only trades would trigger compensation.  I know that when Gary Matthews, Jr. was waived and then signed with the Padres last year, I got nothing.

I think the reasoning is that guys who get waived, as opposed to traded, are pretty much useless.  Almonte would be a good example of that.

Mark
Actually, I brought it up.  Because there seemed to be a few people who defended the rule (Mark K. and Rich, as I recall), and no one who sided with my proposal for change, I didn't push it further.  It would appear that when I next propose a change, there will be at least two votes in favor.