[USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Tue Apr 13 09:07:26 EDT 2004

As I said before, this point was mentioned during the pre-season but never formally included in a proposal that was submitted for a league vote.

I had Todd van Poppel last year when he was with the Rangers. He was waived. I kept him on my reserve roster. He signed in the NL. I did not receive FAAB compensation.

From: SpringKerb at aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:01:53
To:announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Waivers and FAAB $$

In a message dated 4/13/2004 7:24:29 AM Central Standard Time, anrklein at yahoo.com writes:
What is everyone's memory on this?  The $2 are not a big deal, but I'd like to know that we're applying the rule consistently.
I think we addressed this in the pre-season--check the e-mail archive.  My recollection is that Barrett brought it up and we decided that only trades would trigger compensation.  I know that when Gary Matthews, Jr. was waived and then signed with the Padres last year, I got nothing.

I think the reasoning is that guys who get waived, as opposed to traded, are pretty much useless.  Almonte would be a good example of that.