[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting - Winick's Vote

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 13:14:07 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/7/2004 7:59:21 AM Central Standard Time,
MBBlocker at aol.com writes:
1.  Permit trading of FAAB Dollars

2.  Count statistics of players traded to the NL

3.  Creation fix proposals

   a.  E-bay bidding proposal

   b.  Skinny FAAB proposal (reduction of FAAB budgets to $20)

   c.  Players acquired throug FAAB cannot be asterisk players
1.    Yes
2.    No
3.    A

Although I'm enjoying the Blocker/Robbins debate, I think there is a critical
point that has been missed by both.  There are two objectives that need to be
achieved in correcting last year's debacle.  Both Mark and Rich have focused
on the problem associated with artificial "asterisk" players.  They have both
missed the second issue which is artificial inflation of salaries to avoid the
salary floor.  It seems to me that the second objective is no less important
than the first.

As much as I appreciate the simplicity of option c, it does not address the
problem with dumping teams bidding up valueless players to absurd salaries to
allow them to dump beyond that which the rule was designed to permit.  For this
reason, I cannot support option C.  If you want an example of the problems
that artificially inflated salaries create, just calculate the "true" value of
the players that were on the Riptorns active roster at the end of last year.
It should be clear to you that they effectively wrote the salary floor out of
constitution.

So, the only way to address last year's problems in their entirety is to
adopt option a or b.  I support option A because it addresses both of the problems
with the least amount of unintended negative impact.  I share Mark's concern
that ebay bidding means that some players will be assigned salaries that are
less than what they otherwise would have been.  On the other hand, that really
is the nature of a perfect market.  Bottom line, though is that I am less
concerned about that problem than I am with the additional complexity associated
with the skinny FAAB rule and more importantly, the fact that the skinny FAAB
rule adversely impacts the salary cap by allowing teams near the top of the cap
to spend far more on FAAB acquisitions than they would otherwise be allowed.

I do want to raise a couple of additional topics, as well.  These are most
properly categorized as clarifications, rather than rules changes.  First, if
the league votes to continue to disallow the trading of FAAB dollars, then the
rules should be clarified to provide that FAAB dollars can only be retrieved by
the owner of a player that is traded out of the league AT THE TIME THE PLAYER
IS TRADED OUT OF THE LEAGUE.  To allow otherwise is to sanction an exception
to an otherwise explicit rule.

Second, the constitution has established a compensation system for instances
where a team loses a player to the other league.  This somewhat ambiguous rule
has apparently been interpreted to compensate a team if his player is traded
to the NL, but no compensation is awarded if a player is waived or released
and is picked up by an NL team after a period of time during which the player
wasn't on any ML roster.  Since the intent of the rule is to compensate a team
for losing a player to the other league, I propose that the rule be clarified
to allow compensation to any team that loses a player that ultimately ends up
on an NL roster.  I don't see any reason for treating a player that ultimately
ends up out of the league any differently than one who does so immediately.
With respect to my prior clarification, I would provide that the proposal be
modified to allow retrieval of FAAB compensation only at the time that they
player is either traded out of the league or is added to an NL roster.

Jeff W.