[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting - Winick's Vote

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sat Feb 7 13:39:24 EST 2004

Jeff,

I think my proposal re mobile FAAB dollars already addresses -- at least in
part -- one of the issues you raised.

My proposal was that we either allow for mobile FAAB dollars and, if that
does not pass, that we make an explicit statement that the only owner who
can claim back FAAB dollars is the owner rostering the player at the time of
the trade to the NL.  This is merely a codification of a position that we
took last year.  My proposal included text to allow for mobile FAAB dollars
and then said that if the proposal fails, Section 14.6 should be revised to
read as follows:

If a player who is traded to the National League during the course of a
season is on the Active Roster or the Reserve Roster of any team in the
League, that team may elect to waive the player at any time during that
season while the player remains in the National League.  Upon any such
waiver, the salary of the waived player shall be immediately added (as
opposed to waiting until the commencement of the next succeeding Reporting
Period) to the waiving team's FAAB; provided, however, that in the case of a
player acquired in the most recent Rotation Draft or retained on a Reserve
Roster without having his salary deducted from the team's $260 expenditure
limit for the most recent Auction, $2 shall be added to the waiving team's
FAAB.  The right to have funds added to a team's FAAB is limited to the
League team on whose roster the player appears when the player is traded to
the National League.  This Section 14.6 shall not apply to off-season major
league trades.

As to your second point, I think that needs to be addressed as a separate
matter and I'd prefer that we deal with it once we get through the current
round of voting.  The key issue is whether we should limit compensation for
trades as opposed to losing a player who happens to end up in the National
League.  I've thought about this somewhat and must admit that I get confused
rather rapidly.  We don't compensate an owner whose player gets benched or
whose player gets sent down to the minor leagues.  If a player is released
outright we don't provide compensation.  I'm not sure why things should be
different if a player who is released or waived ends up on an NL roster.  On
the other hand, you can argue that there is no reason to distinguish between
situations in which a player rostered on a USML squad remains in major
league baseball but in the NL.  Of course, I'd prefer to avoid the whole
situation by allowing NL stats -- but that's another matter.

I'm not trying to avoid the situation and believe that it is something that
merits consideration.  Rather than cloud things further at this point, would
it be OK if we clear the current slate of proposals and then allow for one
more round to deal with this?  I'll post a revised constitution promptly
once the current voting is done.  There is no reason why we can't move
rapidly on the current stuff.  There has surely been enough discussion for
people to vote.

OK?

-- Rich

  _____