[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 14:38:19 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/8/2004 12:15:29 PM Central Standard Time,
john.fruit at usbank.com writes:
Also, could someone elaborate on the usefulness of having a salary floor?
Is there a roster integrity issue beyond just unloading high-priced players
to contenders? It seems like the salary cap already guards against
over-aggressive dumping.
The intention of the anti-dumping rules was to guard against over aggressive
dumping on the part of both the dumper and the dumpee.  Since the arrival of
the Riptorns we have had an annual race to the bottom of the league.  That has
led to the trading away of not merely high priced players, but the trading
away of every reasonably valuable player that doesn't possess significant
undervalue.  If you look at the dump trades made during the last few years, you'll
see that the trading continues until the non competitive teams have nothing
left, whatsoever.  Last year, potential keepers like Rocco Baldelli were traded
away for minor leaguers and other prospects with greater potential keeper value.
 What you invariably end up with is a race by, at most, 3-4 teams and the
balance of the league waiting for the year to end.  I would argue that the real
evil we're trying to address with the anti-dumping rules is not the
accumulation of talent by the top teams, but rather the complete depletion of talent from
the bottom teams.

We agreed upon a fairly lax salary cap so that we wouldn't unduly restrain
teams from moving players from their reserve roster or utilizing FAAB.  The hope
was that the salary floor would work in concert with the cap to limit the
extent of dumping.  What we found was that a liberal salary cap in the absence of
an effective salary floor meant that there was no true restraint on dump
trades.  Removing the asterisk loophole will fix the problem of trades involving
the most expensive players, but it will have no effect on the dump trades
involving large groups of sub-$25 players.  I would refer you to the multitude of
non-asterisk deals last year to illustrate the nature of the problem.  Also,
you can look at the rosters of some of the teams that finished at the bottom of
the league last year (particularly the Riptorns) to see what results from no
salary floor.  If you recall last year there was a noticeable pause when the
bidding hit $24 because people were hesitant to create asterisk players.  When
teams recognize that they can indiscriminately dump sub-$25 players, that pause
will more likely become a full stop at subsequent auctions.

My goal with respect to anti-dumping legislation is to enhance the value of
the draft and in-season transactions like FAAB.  I honestly believe that is
where skill at playing this game is best reflected.  I have been disappointed to
watch most of the last few seasons ride on which team is best able to pull off
multiple dump deals.  I am not persuaded that this element of the game should
take on such a preeminent role.

I have been considering proposing a reduction in the salary cap to address
some of these problems.  I don't think that is an ideal solution although it has
worked in another league in which I participate.  I would prefer to avoid
going down that path, but will recommend we do so if we're going to emasculate
the salary floor.  The only alternative to a reduction of the salary cap is to
impose some sort of penalty on the teams that finish at the bottom (i.e.
reorganize the reserve draft to move the bottom finishers to the bottom, reduce the
FAAB budget of the bottom teams or impose a monetary penalty) and I think
those solutions are far worse than imposing greater constraints upon the top
team's budgets.

Jeff Winick