[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 11:37:08 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/9/2004 10:07:39 AM Central Standard Time,
SpringKerb at aol.com writes:
In a message dated 2/9/2004 9:17:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, JHWinick writes:

> Then may I encourage you to modify your vote and switch to option A from
option C.  That would be, by far, the easiest
> solution to strengthening the salary floor.

I think C implicates lowering the cap (due to less FAAB inflation) rather
than raising the floor.  As it is, we provide $40 more "headroom" with our cap
($360 v. $260) than the downside flexibility we provide with our floor ($200 v.
$260).

200 is actually a pretty tight floor already.  Take, for example, a team
forced to dump when one or two stars are out for the year with injury or traded to
the NL.  You could be at the floor already, without even dumping.  Then you
can't do anything at all.  That would simply encourage owners to check out of
the league completely for the year.  I'd much prefer to have someone active and
dumping, than have them completely inactive because the rules have put them
in a straight jacket.

Mark
Mark,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding the tightness of the floor.  If a
player is out for the year with injury or traded to the NL, that player can
remain on a team's active roster and will still count toward the salary floor.
I honestly believe that an active roster of anything less than 200 would
result in teams totally tanking for the season.  I think it is in everyone's best
interest to discourage this practice.

As for the extra headroom in the salary cap, it was my original proposal to
have the headroom match the floorroom, i.e. a $320 cap.  There was concern that
this would be too restrictive given a $100 FAAB budget and a desire to
encourage some level of trading, so we added a little more flexibility.

I believe that the $200-$360 range is a good one provided that we close the
loopholes on asterisks and on escaping the floor with meaningless FAAB bids.
The Ebay FAAB process is far from perfect, but it is the one with the least
unintended consequences and is, by far, the easiest to administer.  Alternatives
of the sort proposed by John Fruit are examples of ways to enhance the salary
floor but at the expense of needlessly complicating the commissioner's life.