[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Mon Feb 9 20:25:42 EST 2004

Hmmm.  This could get tricky.

Here is the text of 14.6 as I had included in my original proposal that I
intended would become effective if the mobile FAAB dollar thing was not
adopted.  The key sentence is the next to the last sentence, which is what I
added to cover the point in question.

"If a player who is traded to the National League during the course of a
season is on the Active Roster or the Reserve Roster of any team in the
League, that team may elect to waive the player at any time during that
season while the player remains in the National League.  Upon any such
waiver, the salary of the waived player shall be immediately added (as
opposed to waiting until the commencement of the next succeeding Reporting
Period) to the waiving team's FAAB; provided, however, that in the case of a
player acquired in the most recent Rotation Draft or retained on a Reserve
Roster without having his salary deducted from the team's $260 expenditure
limit for the most recent Auction, $2 shall be added to the waiving team's
FAAB.  The right to have funds added to a team's FAAB is limited to the
League team on whose roster the player appears when the player is traded to
the National League.  This Section 14.6 shall not apply to off-season major
league trades."

Section 11.3 of our rules states that:

"Notice of each transaction shall be given to the League Secretary. The
reporting deadline for transactions shall be noon on Sunday. The effective
date of any transaction reported to the League Secretary before the
deadline, for purposes of statistical calculation, shall be the commencement
of the Reporting Period immediately following the Reporting Period in which
such notice is given.

Therefore, absent some additional tinkering with the language, I think that
the answer to Jim's question is that the traded player would not be rostered
on his new USML team until after the commencement of the next reporting
period and therefore the new owner could not claim the FAAB money.

If we want a different result then I think that different language is
required.

I am not opposed in principle to the notion of treating the time of the
trade for these purposes as when the trade is announced generally to the
league.  I would be concerned about a situation in which two owners did a
deal and didn't announce it with the second owner taking the position that
he had access to the traded player's FAAB money because he and the first
owner had concluded a deal but not told the league about it.  That would
lead to a situation in which owners did not have an accurate sense of how
much FAAB money was available to each owner.

If we want to allow the second owner to have access to the FAAB then I think
we will need a different sentence.  I'm tired of drafting at the moment.
I'd ask that someone circulate language that will do the trick without
opening extra loopholes for Kerber :-)

Jeff -- I'd also ask that you draft specific language to implement what you
want on the second issue.

-- Rich

  _____