[USML Announce] USML Rules Voting

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Mon Feb 9 18:55:33 EST 2004

Jeff,

Your first issue was specifically addressed in my proposal regarding mobile FAAB dollars, please refer back to the full text of my proposal. It clearly stated that if we do not pass mobile FAAB dollars we would make the clarification you are suggesting. I think that we should be able to focus on your second issue. Am I missing something?

From: JHWinick at aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:43:14
To:announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] USML Rules Voting

Gentlemen:

We have closure on our three issues.  The final voting results are as follows:

1.    Teams will NOT be able to trade their FAAB dollars.  The final vote was 5-5.  In the absence of a majority in favor of change, we default back to the existing rule.
2.    Players traded to the NL will NOT count toward subsequent stats.  The final vote was 4-6.
3.    Free agent bidding will be conducted in an "e-bay" like manner in which the price of the player will be set at $1 beyond the second highest bid or $5, if there is just one bidder.  If two bidders tie, the price will the price of the tie and the player will be awarded to the team lower in the standings.

There are two additional proposals that need to be addressed.  They both pertain to FAAB credits.  I propose two clarifications to the rules:

1.  FAAB credits will only be awarded to the team that owns the player at the time the credit-worthy event takes place.  In other words, when a player has been traded to the NL, only the team that owns the player on the date of the trade can get the credit.  If the player is traded to another USML team, he can not be converted to FAAB dollars.  Since we've agreed to continue to ban the trading of FAAB dollars, we should close this loophole.

2.  Players waived or released by an AL team and subsequently rostered by an NL team will be eligible for FAAB credit the same as those players that are traded directly to an NL team.  There seems to be no good reason to distinguish between these two circumstances.  Also, you avoid the administrative headache of having to determine how a player (particularly the less important players) ended up on an NL roster.

Jeff Winick