[USML Announce] USML - Draft Day dilemma

Andrew R. Klein anrklein at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 16:19:03 EST 2004

Regarding FAAB bidding, Mark B. made a proposal last year something like this:

We should count FAAB bids in 25 cent increments instead of dollar increments, and reduce our budget from $100 to $25.   The point of this was to avoid having people violate the spirit of anti-dumping rules by buying asterisk players and using them in trades.  The rule also had value by helping people avoid salary cap problems after making FAAB purchases.  Finally, Mark suggested that, after the season, the salaries would convert to "normal" (i.e., each 25 cents would count as a dollar).

I liked Mark's proposal then, and I still favor it now.  So, here's my "motion":

1.    Reduce the in-season FAAB budget to $25.  Bids should be made in 25 cent increments, with a minimum bid of $1.25 (which corresponds to our current $5 minimum).

2.    At the end of the season, the salary of anyone purchased with FAAB $$ should be multiplied by 4.

That is all.  For now.

Andrew R. Klein
Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
(317) 274-2099