[USML Announce] 7-04 USML Moves

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 12:04:41 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/6/2004 9:29:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
SpringKerb at aol.com writes:
Also, regarding Winick's continued flogging of the "Blocker shuould have
gotten Greinke" issue, I suggest everyone look at Greinke's actual performance,
compare it to Mulder's, and draw your own conclusions as to whether Blocker got
the right starting pitcher.  (He couldn't have gotten both of them, because he
didn't have two quality starters to offer in return.)  In fact, when one
look's at the performance of Mulder, Huff and Anderson since my trade with
Blocker, a good argument could be made that I got fleeced--and it clearly was not the
other way around.

Mark
I nominate this post for the single most disingenuous post of the year.

You're kidding, right?  I assume this wasn't the pitch you made to the Cup
when you sought Vladimir Guerrero in exchange for Greinke.  It sounds to me like
you owe them an apology.

I want to make sure I understand your argument, though.  Greinke's "actual
performances" (as opposed to his alleged performance??) haven't been very good,
so he is far less valuable than Mulder.  Put aside for purposes of argument
that as a dumper, Mark B. should have been far more concerned with the future
than with present performance.  And, of course, we'll have to put aside the
facts that Mulder is more expensive, has been hurt each of the last few seasons
and has only one year left on his contract.  Let's focus on your assertion that
Greinke's "actual performances" aren't very good, which I will assume is your
way of saying that he isn't terribly valuable for this year.  It suggests that
it wouldn't have taken much to replace his stats and add him to the deal
(assuming, of course, that was the reason you didn't want to trade him and it had
nothing to do with the fact that you were looking to dump him in another
deal).  Most importantly, though, I'll wager that Mark B. didn't ask or at least
didn't push very hard.

As for the trade which Andy Klein and I concur will be the principal reason
why the Nukes will win (and why the Bombers will finish in the middle of the
pack once again), I think the numbers speak for themselves and make the
suggestion that you got fleeced a complete joke.

Even with Well's injury, the traded has so far netted the folllowing

Runs: +26
Home Runs: +23
RBI's: +25
Stolen Bases: +4
Batting Average:  Major Increase in at bats and average
Wins: -2
ERA:  Worse
Whip:  Moderately worse
Strikeout:  +4

For future reference, I would suggest that Kerber's posts be treated like
press releases from the RNC.  Use them for entertainment value, but not for
accurate information.