[USML Announce] 7-04 USML Moves

SpringKerb at aol.com SpringKerb at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 13:13:29 EDT 2004

Actually, Mulder was long gone when I did my deal with the Cups, and Greinke was the guy they were after anyway.  But, more to the point, Jeff is distorting my message.

The Cups got a perfectly good deal, at least in my opinion.   I think Greinke's a great long-term prospect (particularly at only $2), and so does Jeff, or at least so he keeps telling us.  They also got a pretty darned good looking young outfielder in the same deal, with a $5 salary.  Both of those players are Y1, so they have plenty of time to pay off.

Blocker instead went for the proven commodities with major league track records--Mulder, Huff, Mueller (and Olivo).  That's a different philosophy at work, but it hardly means Blocker got ripped off.  He went for--and clearly received--proven big league performers.  "Failing" to get Greinke wasn't a failure by Blocker to do anything; it was just the obvious implication of his tactical choice to go for more established players.  Mulder is clearly the right pitcher for that approach.  (And the statement he has "been hurt in each of the last few seasons" isn't very accurate.  Last year's hip injury was the only injury that had a signicant impact on his performance, and it has shown no signs of recurring.)

So the Cups got cheaper, younger, Y1 players (more risk, but potentially greater long-term rewards).  Blocker got older, slightly more expensive, mostly Y2 or LT05 players (less risk, but also more limited upside potential).  Both teams got lots of future value, but Blocker's is mostly loaded into 2005.

Mark