[USML Announce] 7-04 USML Moves

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 18:24:39 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/6/2004 12:13:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
SpringKerb at aol.com writes:
Actually, Mulder was long gone when I did my deal with the Cups, and Greinke
was the guy they were after anyway.  But, more to the point, Jeff is
distorting my message.

The Cups got a perfectly good deal, at least in my opinion.   I think
Greinke's a great long-term prospect (particularly at only $2), and so does Jeff, or
at least so he keeps telling us.  They also got a pretty darned good looking
young outfielder in the same deal, with a $5 salary.  Both of those players are
Y1, so they have plenty of time to pay off.

Blocker instead went for the proven commodities with major league track
records--Mulder, Huff, Mueller (and Olivo).  That's a different philosophy at work,
but it hardly means Blocker got ripped off.  He went for--and clearly
received--proven big league performers.  "Failing" to get Greinke wasn't a failure by
Blocker to do anything; it was just the obvious implication of his tactical
choice to go for more established players.  Mulder is clearly the right pitcher
for that approach.  (And the statement he has "been hurt in each of the last
few seasons" isn't very accurate.  Last year's hip injury was the only injury
that had a signicant impact on his performance, and it has shown no signs of
recurring.)

So the Cups got cheaper, younger, Y1 players (more risk, but potentially
greater long-term rewards).  Blocker got older, slightly more expensive, mostly Y2
or LT05 players (less risk, but also more limited upside potential).  Both
teams got lots of future value, but Blocker's is mostly loaded into 2005.

Mark
I do think the Cups got a very good deal.  I think Greinke is an excellent
prospect who has the potential to be one of the top pitchers in the American
League over the life of his contract.  I'm not as big a fan of Ford, but its hard
to argue with his numbers so far.

As for Blocker deal, the mere fact that you include Mueller as a key
component of the deal speaks volumes.  Also, the reference to the fact that Blocker
"went for" established players proves the only point that I've been trying to
make.  Blocker knowingly left a big fish on the table.

By the way, I've once again modified my description of the Block's Bomber
annual campaigns.  Rather than, "perenially driving to a middle of the pack
finish" (a rather unwieldy description), I will hereafter refer to the annual
Blocker effort as a "drive for five" as in fifth place.

That is all (for now).