[USML Announce] USML TEAM NAMES

john.fruit at usbank.com john.fruit at usbank.com
Mon Mar 8 09:25:07 EST 2004

Andy probably remembers that the Brats were almost the "Scoobie Snacks" but
Jeff Cohen preferred the "link" to Milwaukee's famous.

                      "Andrew R. Klein"
                      <anrklein at yahoo.c        To:       announce at usml.net
                      om>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [USML Announce] USML TEAM NAMES
                      announce-bounces@
                      usml.net

                      03/08/2004 08:07
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "USML
                      Announcements"

I just looked at the TQStats page and noticed that Buddha's team is named
"Republicans".  It struck me that this is the USML's first overtly
political team name since the demise of Alex Leiberman's "Democrats for
Nixon".  With that in mind, I have attempted to create an historical
categorization of all USML team names.  As you can see, I need some help
filling a few gaps.  (Can you tell that I'm in full
work-procrastination-roto-on-the-mind mode?)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>
POLITICS
Buddha's Republicans (Bill S.).

Democrats for Nixon (Leiberman II).

Winick's Berliners (Winick).  At one point, this franchise was known as
"Win-ick-Ben-Ein Berliners", an allusion to JFK's famous "Ich bin ein
Berliner" speech.  At various times, Jeff also has called his team "Win-Ick
Berliners", "Winickohns" (in honor of his marriage to the former Carolyn
Kohn), and ? originally ? "Win-Ickys", which may have been the most
appropriate name of all!!

Marked to the Market (M.Winick).  Not exactly a political name.  But a good
moniker for the "Roaring Nineties"!

PERSONALITY AND PHYSICAL DISORDERS
Rothmanic Depressives/Rothmaniacs (Emily Rothman & Dad).

Angry Young Men (Linton, Doug S.).

Gimps (??  Was this Rich's client?).

WARMONGERERS
Ike's Generals (Josh E.).

Hank's Marshalls (Hank Marshall).

Nukes (Kerber).

REGIONAL AND ETHNIC PRIDE
Czar's Polish Eagles (Czar).

Hoosier Daddies (Rick G.).

FOOD AND DRINK
Mighty Red Hots (Rich R.).  This team was originally known as the "Fenway
Franks".  After the birth of Rich's first child, the team was known as
"Joseph's Mighty Red Hots" for several years.

Flaming Brats (John F. and Jeff C.).

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns
= "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Lake Michigan Calamari
(Jim B.).

Old Style Light (Leiberman I).

BASEBALL
Block's Bombers (Mark B.).

Klein Nine (Andy K.).

Iowa-na-wins (Sheila B.).

ANIMALS
Iowa Goats (??).  I believe that this was the predecessor to Iowa-na-wins.
But I can't remember who owned the team.

Dirty Water Dogs (??).   This franchise played in 1999.  I can't remember
the owner's name.

Lubeasts (Mark B.'s friend??).

CULTURAL ICONS
Riptorns (Jansen & Rogers).