[USML Announce] USML TEAM NAMES

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 10:04:27 EST 2004

Andy - I don't necessarily agree with all of your classifications:

You certainly could have classified the Bombers in the Warmonger category.  I'm also guessing that Kerber's Nukes were named after the character in Bull Durham rather than the bomb.  Finally, I always thought of my Calamari as the live squid rather than the food version.

Maybe they all should be dual category names.

"Andrew R. Klein" <anrklein at yahoo.com> wrote:

I just looked at the TQStats page and noticed that Buddha’s team is named “Republicans”.  It struck me that this is the USML’s first overtly political team name since the demise of Alex Leiberman’s “Democrats for Nixon”.  With that in mind, I have attempted to create an historical categorization of all USML team names.  As you can see, I need some help filling a few gaps.  (Can you tell that I’m in full work-procrastination-roto-on-the-mind mode?)

POLITICS

Buddha’s Republicans (Bill S.).

Democrats for Nixon (Leiberman II).

Winick’s Berliners (Winick).  At one point, this franchise was known as “Win-ick-Ben-Ein Berliners”, an allusion to JFK’s famous “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech.  At various times, Jeff also has called his team “Win-Ick Berliners”, “Winickohns” (in honor of his marriage to the former Carolyn Kohn), and – originally – “Win-Ickys”, which may have been the most appropriate name of all!!

Marked to the Market (M.Winick).  Not exactly a political name.  But a good moniker for the "Roaring Nineties"!

PERSONALITY AND PHYSICAL DISORDERS

Rothmanic Depressives/Rothmaniacs (Emily Rothman & Dad).

Angry Young Men (Linton, Doug S.).

Gimps (??  Was this Rich’s client?).

WARMONGERERS

Ike’s Generals (Josh E.).

Hank’s Marshalls (Hank Marshall).

Nukes (Kerber).

REGIONAL AND ETHNIC PRIDE

Czar’s Polish Eagles (Czar).

Hoosier Daddies (Rick G.).

FOOD AND DRINK

Mighty Red Hots (Rich R.).  This team was originally known as the “Fenway Franks”.  After the birth of Rich’s first child, the team was known as “Joseph’s Mighty Red Hots” for several years.

Flaming Brats (John F. and Jeff C.).

Lake Michigan Calamari (Jim B.).

Old Style Light (Leiberman I).

BASEBALL

Block’s Bombers (Mark B.).

Klein Nine (Andy K.).

Iowa-na-wins (Sheila B.).

ANIMALS

Iowa Goats (??).  I believe that this was the predecessor to Iowa-na-wins.  But I can’t remember who owned the team.

Dirty Water Dogs (??).   This franchise played in 1999.  I can’t remember the owner’s name.

Lubeasts (Mark B.’s friend??).

CULTURAL ICONS

Riptorns (Jansen & Rogers).

Wilson's Picketts (??).