[USML Announce] Non Roster Invitees

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 13:11:22 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/8/2004 11:53:07 AM Central Standard Time,
RERobbins at itinker.net writes:
Wow.

Your list seems to include a bunch of faded major leaguers and some highly
touted prospects.  Why should the prospects be on the list?  While we all
anticipate that Mauer will break camp on the big league team I'm not sure that the
same can be said for Blanton, Reed, Craine etc.  While that can also be said
about a bunch of prospects that are on the 40 man rosters, what purpose is
served by tossing in even more highly touted players?  I'd be happier if we listed
players who have lost MLB rookie status that are non-roster invitees and added
Mauer, but left other prospects behind.

-- Rich
To focus on the names you listed, Craine is almost sure to break camp,
Blanton is 50/50 and Reed has a shot.  Why shouldn't they be draftable?  The
contract of any player that is drafted will be running immediately.  If a team wants
to take a shot at a player and gamble that they make the opening day roster,
why should a rookie prospect be treated any differently than a grizzled
veteran?  A function of the draft being held early this year is that there is an
element of uncertainty as to the ultimate eligibility of players.  I see
absolutely no reason to preclude teams from taking a shot at guys like Craine, Blanton
and Reed.  Otherwise we give the teams at the top of the reserve draft an
unwarranted advantage.