[USML Announce] The Draft Recap

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Sat Mar 13 10:36:52 EST 2004

Jeff:

  Thanks for the excellent summary.  It was good seeing everyone, and for
the new owners, good to meet you (Buddha: I promise to wear my Packer hat to
the draft next year).  Now, as I always say at the beginning of every year:
who wants to do some deals?

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net]On Behalf
Of JHWinick at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 9:28 AM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: [USML Announce] The Draft Recap

Gentlemen,

Congratulations on a terrific and successful draft.  Despite conducting our
first evening draft and by far, our earliest draft, I thought things went
smoothly.

I woke up this morning to realize I had drafted possibly the oldest team in
the history of the USML.  I can't believe I drafted Benito Santiago (39),
John Olerud (36), Eric Karros (36), and Brian Jordan (37).  Looks like
somebody is going to have to worry about injuries.

I will offer my annual post-draft predictions later this weekend, but for
the time being I'll share some of the interesting bits of information that
the software program kicked out.  I encourage you to take this information
with a huge grain of salt.

Draft Inflation:
Hitting Inflation Was 0% at the end of the draft.  It was running anywhere
from +20 to -15% for most of the draft.  There was only a very brief window
for hitting bargains this year.

Pitching Inflation was -79%.  It was running as high as -125% during the
draft.  Pitchers went for full value and then some all draft long.

Hitting/Pitching Splits:

Most lopsided hitting spending - Klein Nine spent 219 on hitting and only 40
on pitching.
Most lopsided pitching spending - The Nukes spent 131 on pitching and 120 on
hitting.
League average split:  172 hitting/88 pitching

Most Overpriced Players (according to the software):

Keith Foulke            -15
Carlos Delgado        -14
Vladimir Guerrero    -14
Alexis Rios             -13
C.C. Sabathia         -12
Fernando Rodney    -12

Most Underpriced Players (according to the software):

Bobby Higginson        +8
Matt Lawton               +5
Willie Harris               +5
Scott Hatteberg          +5
Larry Bigbie               +4

Most Expensive Hitters:

Carlos Beltran          43
Vladimir Guerrero     39
Carlos Delgado         37
Nomar Garciaparra    35
Manny Ramirez        34

Most Expensive Pitchers:

Curt Schilling        34
Keith Foulke         34
Mike Mussina       30
Javier Vasquez     29
Tim Hudson          29

Prospecting:

Justin Morneau         10
Alexis Rios                8
Guillermo Quiroz        5
Mike Cuddyer            2
Brandon Phillips        1
Grady Sizemore        1
Dallas McPherson     1
Adrian Gonzalez        1

Good luck to everyone - it should be a great year.

Jeff Winick

Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP mail server made the following annotations on
03/13/2004, 09:38:25 AM

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is
privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.