[USML Announce] Good News Report

rickgam at comcast.net rickgam at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 19:44:43 EDT 2005

Greetings;
     In reply to Mr. Winick's assertion that the Hoosiers are the prohibitive favorites, let me assure you that I'm not exactly Mr. Confidence here!  Besides the stiff competition, let me relate to you a humorous tale from this past April.  I'm a veritable Brad Jansen when it comes to fantasy basketball, having won the last 3 leagues I was involved in.  So here it is playoff time in the Champions League I was in (I won the regular season by 21 games!) and in the final head-to-head matchup for the championship, I'm leading 5 categories to 4 with only one game left - Phoenix vs. Seattle.  I don't have any players involved, but my opponent has one - Amare Frickin' Stoudamire.  But not to worry because the only category up for grabs is 3 pointers, which I'm leading by one, but it may as well be 100 since Stoudamire was 1 for 14 in his previous 81 games - believe me, I looked it up!  For kicks, I check in at halftime since it's getting late and I have to get up at 4:45.  Wouldn't you know, Amare Frickin' Stoudamire actually threw up a 3 pointer in the first half and made it.  But still not to worry as, even though we're now tied 4-4-1, I win the tiebreaker.  Well, imagine my surprise when I open the final stats in the morning for the league to see a big congratulatory banner referring to the other team!  Turns out Amare Frickin' Stoudamire (why was he even playing, they'd clinched!!) threw up another 3 pointer in the 2nd half and made it!! The MFer is 1 for 14 in 81 games, then goes 2 for 2 in the final game.
     It seems in the late 90s, a similar scenario played out on the final day of the USML season.  Was it Kerber and Klein?
     Rick