[USML Announce] Hey Kerber (and the rest of you too)

SpringKerb at aol.com SpringKerb at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 19:19:04 EST 2005

Here are my preseason picks, based primarily on strength of likely freeze lists.

1.  Hoosier Daddies. +80-82.  Great retention roster, plus league savvy.  Lookin' like the Year of the Daddies.

2.  Flaming Brats.  +77-79.  Just half a step behind Rick in freeze roster strength, but several years behind in league experience.  Will need to be more aggressive than in the past to take advantage.

3.  Protective Cups.  +57-59.  Potential contenders in only their second year in the league.  Slow to pull the trigger on deals last year.  Will have to be quicker this year to move to the top.

4.  Berliners.  +43-59.  He's baaaack!  Less depth and more volatility in the freeze list than the higher ranked teams, but Jeff's a noted roto expert, so you have to take that into accout.

5.  Block's Bombers.  +43-45.  Insert Winick "Drive for Five" comment here.  I swear I didn't fudge the numbers.

6.  Angry Young Men.  +32-56.  Lots of upside and downside in freeze list, with young and unproven guys like Figgins, Byrnes and Affeldt.  Could go either way.

7.  Nukes.  +27-47.  Will be paying for 2004 pennant chase.

8.  Mighty Red Hots.  +33-36.  Also be paying for 2004 pennant chase--or something.

9.  Buddha's Republicans.  +20-41.  At the current rate, should be a contender around the time Social Security gets fixed.

10.  Klein Nine.  +21-38.  Will be busy on draft day, with only about four keepers and no retained prospects.  But Andy likes it that way.

11.  Lake Michigan Calamari.  +20-25.  Steep price to pay for a minor money position last year.