[USML Announce] Packer Nation Unite

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Mon Jan 10 11:40:36 EST 2005

Johnny One Note:

  I think it might be time for a new schtick (how long can you sing this
same tired song, anyway?)  It simply doesn't work with respect to football.
The Pack chose exactly the path you extol: even when it was 1-4, it went for
broke -- a title -- and unfortunately won't get it.  There is no disgrace in
that.  No one likes to lose, but at least the Pack went down trying for a
trip to Jacksonville.  What would have been nobler in Winick-speak?  Fire
the 7-9 coach, declare rebuilding, and hope for a 5-11 record?  Unlike roto,
you can't win the title unless you make the playoffs first.  I lived through
20 years of non-playoff seasons, I can tell you for sure that this is
better.  I hope PackerNation is never again faced with year after year of
Bears-style mediocrity !

-----Original Message-----
From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net]On Behalf
Of JHWinick at aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 10:12 AM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Draft Time

Whew - the last time I enjoyed a playoff game that much was.......let's
see......the last time the Packers made the playoffs and choked.  And that
would be ....last year.....and the year before that.....and the year before
that.  Not the two years prior to that, because they weren't in the
playoffs.  But the year just prior to that....yep - choked again.

What I've come to learn about Packers fans is that they, like Blocker,
believe that a middle of the pack finish is an acceptable result.  Something
akin to a "drive for five" mentality toward competitive endeavors.

What I respect about guys like Klein, Kerber, Shabelman and other Bears' fan
is their attitude toward the NFL as well as more important pursuits, like
Rotisserie.  Its all or nothing, baby.

To my Packer friends relishing another empty playoff appearance, I offer you
the words of a man with whom you should be familiar.  Listen to his words:

"Winning isn't everything, its the only thing."

"If you can accept losing, you can't win."

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

and the one that sums it all up:

"There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and
that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay
and I never want to finish second again. "

 <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vincelomba165417.html> Vince
Lombardi

So quit your whooping and hollering about a team that finished in the same
place as the Bears this season - among the losers.  Next time you win a
Super Bowl, I'll be happy to listen to your celebration.  Until then I won't
be holding my breath.

Jeff

Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP mail server made the following annotations on 01/10/2005, 10:40:12 AM

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.