[USML Announce] USML 2005 - Draft Day and beyond

MBBlocker at aol.com MBBlocker at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 23:42:40 EST 2005

Gang:

  USML 2005 is now just weeks away!  This year will mark our 17th
consecutive season of play.  Because there has already been much discussion  of league
planning before my annual kick-off e-mail, I will get right to the  matters
that need attention.

  Draft Day:  It appears that we have a relative consensus to  hold the draft
during the weekend of March 19.  March 19 is the Saturday;  March 20 is the
Sunday.  Unless there is strong opposition, I have selected  Saturday, March 19
for the draft date.  We will begin at 9:00 a.m.  As  we did last year, we
will hold the draft at Sidley.

  There are four additional topics we should also address right  away.  Here
they are.

1.  Web site:  I do not hear any strong groundswell of support  for changing
websites.  We will therefore remain with TQ Stats.  For  those of us who are
cheap (me included!), you will be please to know that we get  a $10 league
discount if we re-up by February 12.

2.  Draft Day rules:  To avoid some debate, I propose that we use  the same
draft day rules that we used last year, i.e., rules dealing with  slotting and
rookie eligibility to account for a pre-season draft.  If  someone could dust
off our rules from last year, that would help.  The  only new rule we might
need to craft is one to deal with the  rookie-eligible players that were drafted
in the auction last year.

3.  New rules:  If there are any amendments to our current  in-season rules
(in other words, proposing to amend our constitution and not  just a rule
dealing with pre-season drafting), please circulate those soon so we  can debate
them and vote.  If you are among the minority that do not enjoy  the rules
debates, please just ignore the e-mail traffic relating to the new  rule topics.

4.  League size:  We currently have 11 teams.  In the past  there have been
suggestion to increase the league size to 12.  I'd be  interested in hearing
peoples' thoughts on this topic.  Obviously, a  willing new owner would be
critical if we decide to expand.

 That is it for the moment.  Another update will follow shortly  after I
re-activate the website.