[USML Announce] Baseball Draft

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Wed Jun 8 11:42:29 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/8/2005 10:17:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
springkerb at aol.com writes:

$10 rookies?  Not super-common, but not particularly rare,  either.  Baldelli
and Crawford come to mind without thinking about it  very hard or going back
more than a couple of years.  Advanced college  hitters like Gordon and
Clement are particularly good candidates to succeed  quickly--think about John
Olerud, Dave Winfield and Barry Bonds, or more  recently Mark Teixiera.  And my
guys all have $2 salaries, so  it's not like there's any downside risk.

I agree with the comment on rookie pitchers, though.  They are  nothing but
rolls of the dice.

Mark

Not super rare? I beg to differ.  Olerud, Winfield and Bonds are all  old
enough that they pre-date most of our rotisserie involvement and, as you'll  see
below, their rookie campaigns were hardly stellar.  Baldelli  wasn't
particularly highly touted, so I don't think he fairly  qualifies.  And he sure did
fade after a hot start.  Crawford put up 2  HR, 30 RBI and 9 SB's his rookie
year.  Not a very valuable effort.   Olerud - 14-48-0 .265.  $10? I don't think
so.  Bonds - 16-28-36  .223.  The 36 stolen bases probably get him to double
digits in value, but  the .223 average means he wasn't worth too much more.  And
Bonds is a hall  of famer.  You really think the likes of Alex Gordon and Jeff
Clement are  going to do better?

I appreciate the puffery.  I'm taking notes for future pitches to  Blocker
and Robbins.  But I think the proof is in the pudding and most of  these magic
beans never sprout.