[USML Announce] USML - Commissioner Rules question

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Wed Sep 7 00:03:36 EDT 2005

You must be getting slow in your advanced years Mr. Kerber.

I must not be terribly bright.  If I have player x, I can retain him.  If I
hang on to player x I can trade him to another team in the off-season and
the team I trade him to can retain him.  If I waive player x before
September 1, he can be claimed and retained.  If I waive player x after
September 1 he should not be able to be retained because ____________?  If I
want to flout the rules against future consideration, why not just keep
player x and cook up some almost-plausible off-season trade to get to the
same point.  If I'm trying to deliver a player via waiver claims, I should
just waive him before September 1 and the last place team is assured of
being able to claim him.  What is the evil we are concerned about?  The more
I think about this one, the more curious I get.  Why is the fact that MLB
rosters expand on September 1 at all relevant?  Perhaps the answer is that
since we prohibit trades after September 1 we should also prohibit waiver
claims that result in retainable players.  I'm not sure why that is a good
thing.  On the other hand, I'm not sure why it would be bad either.

Oh well, I need to focus my energy on getting the Red-Hots to finish ahead
of the Klein Nine and the AYM.

Blocker promises me that he will NOT finish in fifth place.  I'm not so
sure.  Mr. Winick -- your thoughts on this one?

By the way, I bumped into Brad Jansen on Sunday afternoon.  I told him that
Jeff was picked on him in absentia.  He was not at all surprised.  We didn't
have time to chat, I'm sorry about that.  I for one miss those sneaky
bastages.

-- Rich

  _____