[USML Announce] Nukes

jhwinick at aol.com jhwinick at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 11:46:12 EDT 2006

Mr. Kerber,

You are, of course, correct that no one (other than Brad) knows my true opinions.  However, I might advise a little caution before getting too excited about Laynce Nix.  Never lose sight of the fact that concepts like "breakout", "improve" and "collapse" are all relative terms.  Its not hard to breakout or improve from the lousy numbers Nix has put up to date.  And when you're already a huge disappointment, its hard to collapse.  All you really need to know about Mr. Nix is summarized in the "Comparables" that Baseball Prospectus lists:  Jerry Lynch, Todd Dunwoody, Steve Whitaker.  What can I say, other than, in the words of our own PT:  this is not a monster talent.

P.S.  I'd be happy to take you through a master class version of my assessment if you'd like.  It would start with pointing out that PECOTA predicts an OBP of .315.  Not much potential here.

That is all.  Class dismissed.