[USML Announce] Rips Don't Putz Around With Closers

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 22:00:32 EDT 2006

While teams like the Berliners, Klein 9 and Angry Young Men got into crazed
bidding wars for closers like Craig "Minor Mistake" Hansen, Mariano Rivera
and Dan Miceli, the Rips quietly snuck one in right under the watchful radar
of Jeff "What Did Shandler Say?" Winick:  J.J. Putz.

"The skill set definitely was there," conceded Winick.  "And I refer to
Putz, not my drafting skills. The kid's a keeper and kudos must and will go
the 'Torns.  All I can say is I  must have been grabbing another pastry or
keeping a  watchful  eye  on  Shabelman  when  Jansen  tossed  out  his
name and grabbed him for a buck.  It's  clear to me  that  Putz  was  the
steal  of  the  draft."