[USML Announce] Teahen Suddenly a Force

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 15:29:22 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/28/2006 2:46:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,  springkerb
@aol.com writes:

1.  Yes, I saw Ravitz's column today, pronouncing Mark  Teahen to be
"suddenly a force."

One of the most entertaining elements of hanging out with the so-called
experts is that I have first hand knowledge of who these guys really are and  what
they bring to the table.  So, having met Nate Ravitz (and Jason Grey  for
that matter), having heard him (them) speak about prospects and knowing  his
(their) background, it literally caused me to howl at the thought that  a sharp
guy like Mark Kerber would regard Ravitz' opinion as having even an  iota of
value in excess of his own opinion.

As for Teahen, this so-called expert says he'll never be any better than a
decent average hitter with moderate (i.e. 15 hr) pop.  That makes him worth  no
better than $10-12 (at best) in our league.  Since there are typically  (and
in the case of Kansas City, in fact, are) better options at the corner
infield positions that he plays, there really isn't much to get excited  about.
Bottom line, this guy is not much of a keeper.  Although  on the Klein Nine, he
certainly ought to make the cut.

But if Nate Ravitz says otherwise, who am I to argue?

Jeff Winick
DUMP