[USML Announce] Draft Day Debacle

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sat Mar 25 06:01:31 EST 2006

Guys,

I am heartsick over what has transpired.

We settled on my house as the draft site on Thursday.  I've been planning on
setting up things in my basement so each of us has ample room during the
draft.  That will require a modest amount of effort.  The old system of
crowding around my dining room table won't work with multiple owners, a few
people with computers etc.  We were cramped when we did that with just nine
teams.  That's why I wanted to try a new approach this year -- but I simply
don't know how many I can accommodate.  When I return from my trip I will be
scurrying around to borrow card tables etc.  It's not a big deal but I was
already at my limit on what I thought I could handle comfortably.  (That, by
the way, is why I always prefer to draft in a large conference room.  I've
never been entirely happy with how much space we've had at any of our
"house" drafts -- including those I've hosted.)

Late Thursday was the first time that I learned that people wanted to bring
kids to observe the draft.  I'm heading out of town in a few hours and won't
return until late next week.  When I thought I knew how many kids I thought
we could make it happen.  I felt that it would be a stretch given my
basement.  As the discussion progressed yesterday it became clear to me that
we have no idea how many kids might attend or their ages.  With proper
planning we could pull this off but with my travel plans and obligations
when I return, I just don't have the time to set things up to handle our
normal draft plus an unknown number of kids of varying ages.  I can't even
assure you that there will be other adults around to look after those who
lose interest and don't want to sit around my basement with us.  If we are
going to have a group of kids observe a five + hour draft it would be folly
to assume that each and every one of them will be happy to sit quietly and
not want to do other things at some point.  We are too busy and can't
supervise them.  Older kids may not require supervision, but younger ones
might.  I'd want to make sure that there was at least one other adult around
not involved in the draft.  I can't even provide that since Rhonda and my
boys have other things to do that they may not be able complete at other
times.  The bottom line is that as much as I want to, I simply can't
accommodate everyone -- for a variety of reasons, none of which are
necessarily dispositive, but which, on balance, lead to me to conclude that
I can't pull it off.  I'm not sure why I feel compelled to explain why I
can't pull it off -- but not all of the communications on this topic have
been made public and I sense that not everyone is willing to accept the
notion that I did what I could but was operating near the line and that it
got to the point where I simply wasn't comfortable any more.  Please don't
ask me to engage in a debate as to why I should have been comfortable.  I'm
not.

To some it appears that I'm just jerking you around and raining on the hopes
and dreams of fathers and sons.  I watch as messages are posted imploring
Brad to still encourage his son to participate despite this episode. (I
don't recall anyone suggesting that Brad's son not participate or that Brad
was thinking of changing that -- maybe I read too quickly.)  What about
owners who don't want to have kids in attendance but reluctantly accept the
notion?  If we were unanimously in favor that would be one thing, but it's
clear that not all support the notion -- and I fear that those expressing
reluctant support do not want to appear to be mean-spirited.  Is all of this
fair to them?

All I wanted to do is make this work and I've been placed in an untenable
position.

I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.  If that's not up to snuff
then please come up with a solution that works for more people.  Find
someone who can comfortably host, with ample space and electricity for all
that require it, in the burbs, and accommodate the kids.  Please don't
criticize me for being unable to do so.  I never said that I could -- and
wasn't asked to do so until Thursday.

I have nothing but the best of intentions.  This has become a very heavy
burden for me to bear and I feel terrible.

I spent last night sick to my stomach (literally), not sleeping, and
wondering if I should withdraw from the league immediately.  I am not
exaggerating and I am still wondering (really).  I take this very
personally.  So please, don't question (even by implication) my intent,
motives, respect for fathers and sons, respect for the league etc.
Inflammatory remarks serve no productive purpose.