[USML Announce] Draft Day Debacle

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 11:25:35 EST 2006

Gentlemen,

Couple of thoughts and then I strongly encourage the league to move  on:

1.    It was not my intention to suggest, in any manner  whatsoever, that
Rich Robbins has done anything wrong in this "draft day  debacle".  If my words
have been construed otherwise by anyone, I offer my  humble apology.  That is
especially true vis-a-vis Rich whom I regard as a  friend and toward whom I
would never ascribe the type of motivation that he  apparently believes I have.
Mea culpa.

2.    I hereby express my preference that the draft be  held at an office
building for all drafts in the future.  I offer up Stein,  Ray & Harris for that
purpose, if the league is interested.  I think  that is best for a couple of
reasons:  a) it doesn't impose on a league  owner in the manner that the league
is imposing upon Rich.  Rich is far too  busy to be subject to the headache
associated with hosting a draft.  b) its  easier on all participants - there is
more room to spread out, plug in,  etc.  c) it allows the league to consider
the request of Andy and myself to  allow us to add our 12 year old sons as
co-owners in future years.

3.    I hereby ask for a vote at the draft to allow the  active participation
of older (i.e. 12 years +) sons or daughters to participate  with their dads
at the draft.  This is an admittedly selfish request, but  there is a small
window of opportunity for me to take advantage of my son's  interest in sharing
this hobby with me.  I would very much like to take  advantage of it.  I
honestly don't believe it should have any bearing on  the enjoyment of the draft
for anyone else.  For the past two years we have  had two young boys (14/16
years old???) drafting alone and that didn't seem  to create any problems.  And,
yes, Ben's heard a few f-bombs in his  time so Mark Kerber can curse away.

4.    If the situation has gotten sufficiently out of  hand that someone is
going to leave the league, that will be me.  Rich  is not allowed to quit.  If
Rich isn't comfortable playing in a league with  your's truly, I will submit
my resignation.  It shouldn't affect the league  much since I didn't have much
of a keeper list anyway, although you will have to  find someone new to take
on the role of Chief Asshole.  I can't imagine  anyone fulfilling the role as
effectively as I have.  I do have a few  recommendations, but I think they're
fairly obvious.

I'm now going off-line to prepare for other drafts.  I will  presume that the
league will go forward as planned.  If the location of the  draft is being
changed - please let me know.  If I'm out - give me the  word.