[USML Announce] Brad Lee BS Check; Ding Dong The King Is Dead!; Craig Hansen, Closer - NOT

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Wed May 17 08:47:08 EDT 2006

Winnick writes:  Anybody else notice that, on Monday, regularly proclaimed (at least by ARK), future closer for the Boston Red Sox, Craig Hansen started for Pawtucket?  Interesting huh?  Did you also notice the 9/7 K to BB ratio he's sporting since his promotion to AAA?

In fairness to Hansen and Andy, the Red Sox say they are stretching Hansen out (four innings on Monday) to give him regular work and plenty of opportunity to develop his pitches.  They won't say whether he is, or is not, a future closer.  They are calling him simply a "pitcher," and won't commit to where his future lies.  So, for a mere $9 (contract already running), you have a guy who might be a starter, a closer or a middle reliever.  Of course, that's clearly too many walks in the 12 innings he's pitched in AAA.  Whatever he's going to be, he's not it yet.

I'm keeping him on my super-secret sleeper list, though.  I'll get him for a buck or two in 2008, when everybody else has given up on him.