[USML Announce] Brad Lee BS Check; Ding Dong The King Is Dead!; Craig Hansen, Closer - NOT

jhwinick at aol.com jhwinick at aol.com
Wed May 17 00:28:01 EDT 2006

The Brad Lee BS Check

Time to hear it from the horse's mouth as opposed to all of those who would speak on my behalf.  Wonder why Brad Lee uses fictitious Winick quotes?  I guess even Brad Lee has a modicum of shame.

1.   Howie Kendrick was sent down today.  He batted .115 during his highly touted debut.  He was replaced on the roster by the next great middle infielder for the Los Angeles Angels, Eric Aybar.

2.   Ambiorix Burgos blew his third straight save opportunity and gave up his 10th run in the last 5 appearances.  I'm sure its a complete coincidence that, all of a sudden, he's available to the highest bidder.  This guy is toast.

3.   Justin Huber's much anticipated arrival hasn't turned out exactly the way Brad Lee anticipated.  A certain guy named Stairs is hitting up a storm (3 HR, 9RBI in last 13 games).  Huber's collecting splinters in his ass.

4.   The Riptorns who had once held out hope of challenging PT is his annual drive for five now find themselves a scant 7 points in front of the Berliners in the contest for last place.

5.   Brad Lee is peddling speed in the form of Patterson and Beltre.  Over his last 7 games, Beltre is 4 for 20 with no stolen bases and 2 caught stealing, with 2 HR's and a .218 batting average to show for the season.  Over that same period, Patterson is 4 for 19, albeit with 3 stolen bases.  But what happens when all those other guys in Baltimore get healthy?  Anybody else think that 15 to 5 K to BB ratio is going to encourage his manager to check out other options?

6,   Tommy Murphy!!!!!???? - How could no one have outbid Brad Lee for this stud?  How about .188 over the last 21 days.

7.    And how about that Bonderman for Weaver trade?  Remind me again - who was doing the rebuilding?

8.    How come we aren't hearing so much about Kevin Gregg any more?  Do you think it has anything to do with the 8 earned runs in the last 5.2 innings and the fact that he won't be seeing another turn in the rotation in, say, forever.

9.    Then there's Jim Thome.  Yep - there's a productive hitter that could really help one of the contenders.  But even in his weakened condition, I can't see Brad trading away a $26 first baseman with $30+ value.

So....what's the bottom line here.  Expect the stream of hysterical rants to continue from the keyboard of Brad Lee as the realization of what has befallen the once great RipTorn legacy sinks in.  And let us all (including Brad Lee) now acknowledge the real power behind the throne - the missing man who was the only thing that stood between Brad Lee and mediocrity (or worse) - his name was(is) Mike.

Ding Dong The King Is Dead!!

Well, I guess the "tipping the pitches" explanation isn't going to cut it.

The naked emporer once again demonstrated why you don't bet heavily on highly touted rookie pitchers when he put up the following stinker line of the night:

4.0 IP  90 pitches, 11 hits, 5 Earned Runs, 4 Unearned Runs, 2 Walks and a mere 4 strikeouts.

He was sporting a 4.58 ERA and a 1.50 Whip before this pounding with a mere two wins to show for his now 43.1 innings.

And to think I once offered up damn near my entire team for this guy!!!    Rich, thank you for saving me from myself.

Craig Hansen, Closer - NOT

Anybody else notice that, on Monday, regularly proclaimed (at least by ARK), future closer for the Boston Red Sox, Craig Hansen started for Pawtucket?  Interesting huh?  Did you also notice the 9/7 K to BB ratio he's sporting since his promotion to AAA?  Does anyone really think that this guy is being groomed to replace Jon Papelbon in the forseeable future?  $9 for this guy???  And Andy won't even listen to offers from Brad Lee because he's too valuable to trade?!?!?!?!  And you wonder why the Klein Nine are underperforming.

More reports to follow.  That is definitely not all!