[USML Announce] Peralta - Swisher Update

Andrew R. Klein anrklein at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 07:36:02 EDT 2006

I saw Swisher's 4-4 on SportsCenter and figured Winick would be pulling
out his calculator!  In any case, it looks like I'll lose my bet with
Jeff, and I'll pay it off.

Nonetheless, I have a question.  I am not a high-powered author for a
nationally-distributed Fantasy Baseball guide.  But when such authors
gather in the winter to determine player values, I wonder how they'll
evaluate Peralta and Swisher.  With my limited knowledge of mathematics,
my understanding is that a .220 hitter can do serious damage to a team's
batting average.  I think the term is "negative value", and I have at
least observed the phenomenon having played Mike Napoli on my active
roster for the past two months.  I also understand that most teams
expect their outfielders to provide more power than their middle
infielders.  So, Jeff, when you and the gurus put dollar values on
Peralta and Swisher next year, will an outfielder with 1/2 season
numbers of .228-11-35-34 really be more than a shortstop with .265-5-26-26?

Also, I humbly note that Coco Crisp just stole his 20th base since
coming off the DL.  (He was the player I offered to Mark instead of
Swisher).  Peralta, middling though he may be, is still a helluva lot
better than Cantu, who was the other player that Doug foisted on the
Bombers.

-Andy