[USML Announce] Peralta - Swisher Update

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 13:55:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 1:08:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
anrklein at yahoo.com writes:

Jeff-

This expert analysis stuff is still hard for me to  follow.

You start by saying:  "When us high powered experts get together, we'll take
a  look at ALL of the numbers, including the entire season."  This suggests
that we should discount Swisher's miserable second half.

Then you pick on poor  Coco by saying: "Since June 30th, his numbers are
.254-5-18-27 with 13 stolen bases", implying Coco is less valuable because of  a
relatively weak second half.

Then you say the Bombers are lucky  because they can keep Swisher at two
bucks.  But earlier you argued that  Swisher's value was in Mark's ability to
extend his contract.

I'm very confused.  And I'll almost surely be buying you  lunch.  But no way
I owe Mark an apology.  He wuz  robbed!

-Andy

Andy,

The way you tried to spin my last email has me reconsidering who deserves
the moniker KR.  I didn't imply that Coco sucks because his statistics  since
June 30th have been lousy.  To the contrary, he's put up his best  numbers (by
far) since June 30th AND THEY STILL SUCK.

Swisher's second half has been lousy.  I don't see anything in my  message
that implies or suggests or intimates otherwise.  But us experts  recognize that
you can break down a season a lot of different ways and spin it  however you
want.  Heck, if you want to look at Swisher's last week - he's  on fire.  If
you look at August only - he looks great.  If you look at  June and July - the
guy sucks.  April and May - he's a stud.  The  bottom line is that at the end
of the day, you take a look at his entire season  and consider his value.  You
also take into account the fact that he  struggled a lot in June and July and
you discount his potential  accordingly.  But my friend, you can spin the
numbers however you'd like  and it doesn't change the fact that a $2 Swisher in
his option year is worth far  more than a $7 Crisp or a $7 Peralta on
guaranteed contracts.  And you're  unwillingness to face the facts and your chutzpah to
suggest that Mark was  robbed in astonishing.

I say it again, Mr. Chairman of COPS.  You owe deputy Blocker an  apology.