[USML Announce] si.com's prospect parade: the final countdown

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:20:07 EST 2007

For those of us who, according to Prof. Klein, live in a parallel universe
of prospects, long-shots, might have beens and never weres, si.com is
wrapping up its top 75 prospects article.  So far, we've counted down to
#16.  No surprise that the list to date does not contain anyone on the K-9,
Angries, Bombers or other members of the COPS squad.

Some notable inclusions in the esteemed Bryan Smith's thoughtful posting:
  72-Jeff Clement   (Berliners, who as you will see, have several
borderliners...)
  70-Brandon Erbe (MRH, who should be sanctioned for their repeated drafting
of teenage boys--these are players, not pages!)
  68-Dustin Pedroia (Berliner, obviously listed for his defensive prowress
only)
  67-Daric Barton (Republicans)
  65-Ryan Sweeney (Ripper)
  56-Adam Lind (was a Ripper, now a glad Hoosier Dad)
  49-Erick Aybar (Berliners, still desperately trying to deal him before the
Angels do...)
  45-Jeff Niemann (LMC)
  43-Jacoby Ellsbury (Rips' '08 SB threat)
  39-Elijah Dukes (Rips' problem child, running wild, but Lo! the Upside)
  33-Eric Hurley (Berliner)
  31-John Danks (LMC)
  26- Matt Garza (Berliner, but at $23....?)
  25-Adam Jones (Ripper, glad to be back on team)
  23-Jose Tabata (Berliner with "an odd body type," which must explain
Jeff's attraction to this long-term project)
  22-Evan Longoria (a Ripper, of course, a "tremendous...hitter with a
chance at becoming the first position player from the 2006 draft to reach
the majors.")

  We will get the Top 15 Casey Kasem Countdown tomorrow afternoon, but I
predict that the list will include the likes of the Adams Miller (DET and
CLE), Delmon Young, the Red Hots' 2010 cornerstone Cam Maybin, Philip Hughes
and, of course, the Rips' Brandon Wood, Billy Butler and Alex Gordon.  Maybe
even Chris Lubanski.  Well, I can hope....

...sorry, Andy, but Craig Hansen already has blown his rookie eligibility,
as if he'd make this list anyway...
That is all!!!