[USML Announce] Putz is Fine - Rocco's Hurting

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Wed Mar 21 09:27:52 EDT 2007

Brad is right.  Here are the rules.

Section 17.1 says you can retain 9 players.

Section 17.5 says you can retain an additional 3 players who have rookie status and have never been on the active roster of a league team, AND without regard to anticipated opening day major league status.

As a result, Dice-K, who meets the definition of section 17.5, can be one of the "plus three players" for the Hoosiers, even though we can "anticipate" he will be on Boston's active roster on opening day.

However, section 17.3 provides that, if a player is a "plus three player" but is on the 25-man roster on Draft Day, his salary is deducted from the $260 and he must be placed on the active roster.

One e-mail had suggested that this result was in conflict with sections 17.8 to 17.10 (and another e-mail agreed this might be true).  Those sections deal with the following circumstance.  Suppose Team A retains two 2Bs as part of its group of 9, and a third 2B as one of its "plus three" players (and assume this is the only position for which they qualify).  If the third 2B is on the active roster of an MLB team on draft day, he must be placed on the active roster.  However, because a team cannot have three 2Bs, one has to go, and that is what sections 17.8 to 17.10 deal with.  Note: these rules are very unlikely to be triggered, because several years ago we moved from having a DH only to a Ute position, and now the third 2B could be slid to Ute.  So there is no conflict, although the e-mail did not explain why the author believed that, and perhaps an explanation would cause me to have a different view.

One other e-mail suggested that this is not how we had done it in the past.  I don't profess to remember whether that is true or not.  However, it has been many years since we have had our draft AFTER opening day, so section 17.3 has not been available for quite some time (it only comes into play if you know the final 25-man rosters).  That is probably the source of the confusion.

Hope this helps.

 -- Mark B.

 : announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of Brad Jansen
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:57 AM
To: USML Announcements
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Putz is Fine - Rocco's Hurting

	Andy:
	  Since when did you become a politician? My comments reflect an accurate reading of the Constitution, irrespective of "what we did." There is no inconsistency in the Constitution about what is to be done with players on our reserve lists come draft day. Leave it to Jeffrey to stir a hornet's nest when there really is no controversy on this issue.
	  And with respect to Rocco B, I think Jeffrey better ratchet down the lad's projected SBs a bit....That is so all,
	BLJ