[USML Announce] USML/CBS update

MBBlocker at aol.com MBBlocker at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 22:31:35 EDT 2008

Gang:

  Here is where we stand on the website issues.  First, as  reported earlier,
it appears that everything functioned normally this  weekend.  Most
importantly, the FAAB bidding appears to have worked  properly.  I have not yet heard
from anyone indicating that their lineup  moves did not go through.

  As you may recall, a year ago when we switched from TQ Stats to All  Star
Stats, we also had some start-up issues.  I checked my e-mail archives  from
last year, and those e-mails indicate that we were having problems all the  way
through early May.  Even when we got most of the main problems  resolved, we
continued to have periodic issues throughout the year, especially  arising from
the inputting of retroactive moves.

  Given that it is only mid-April and we already appear to have things
working through the CBS system, I am now on the fence about the need to switch
back to All Star Stats.  For starters, its more expensive, but aside from  the
cost, there is no guarantee that we will not experience similar start-up  issue,
putting us back at square one.  Moreover, the manual labor is  roughly
equivalent on CBS and All-Star, so I do not see a huge benefit to going  back.

  There are two principal differences that we will have to get used to  if we
remain on CBS.  First, as I have reported several times, to see your
currently active roster, you need to look at the correct week.  This is now  week 3.
The system will default to the roster for current week plus one  (i.e., week
4), so you need to look back by clicking on the correct week.   You can also
see your active roster on the live scoring function.  Second,  the reporting of
competing FAAB bids does not exist.  On All-Star Stats,  you could inspect
the bids by looking at the "evaluator" function.  On CBS,  even the Commissioner
cannot see the competing bids.  This means that we  will have to rely on
distributions of e-mails by bidders, as Andy suggested  early last week.

  To me, these two difference seem minor, and I think once we get used  to
the system, we will not notice.  I am interested in the impressions  others have
as we get used to this different system, so please feel free to  e-mail me.

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)