[USML Announce] Climb Every Mountain

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Mon Jul 21 15:58:58 EDT 2008

Brad:

  Thank you kindly for your message, which actually made me chuckle.  In the Post-Riptorn-Dump part of the season (April 15 onward ?), we have not heard nearly as much from you as usual (insert here debate about whether that is a plus or minus).  But please, must you lampoon one of my few remaining hobbies?  Now that my limited roto skills make my team perennially non-competitive, I cannot reach the roto summits, so outdoor summits are all I have.  And I can scrimp and save all I want, but that won't allow me to buy enough help for draft day.  And let me assure you that you will not see footage from our trip on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" or its sister-show, "The Shandler Arizona Fall League Conference/Gathering of Pixelated Roto Pundits."  My permit to climb Mt. Whitney cost $5 -- about the same as the ice cream cone you are saving for -- all of my water was free (no charge to dip your bottle in the streams), and what few groceries I brought fit into one small shopping bag purchased from a run-down store in the heart of Death Valley and returned change from my $20.  And keep in mind, I am not driving to the summit -- this is old-fashioned leg power, available for far less than the $5/gallon that you spend to keep refueling that 2008 SUV of yours.  So next time, please grab a backpack and we can look together for this Path to Righteousness of which you speak...

  -- Mark B.

P.S. The guys I traded to Rich, while valuable to a contender, have contract status "FA," not Y2 with a $2 keeper salary, so be careful not to cast stones from your glass house !

________________________________

	From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of Brad Jansen
	Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:31 PM
	To: USML Announcements
	Subject: [USML Announce] Climb Every Mountain

	Dear Commissioner Mark the Mountain Man:
	   After reading countless news accounts of hardworking Americans trying to survive from paycheck to paycheck, hoping to buy another weeks' worth of groceries, praying that they can stave off foreclosure or eviction, and maybe even save enough pennies to afford an outing to the local ice cream shoppe, it indeed was enjoyable to read your account of your epic "struggle" and remind myself to be happy about the more fortunate.  One hopes the carbon footprints left by you and your band of Merry Mountain Men did not tramp down the Path to Righteousness that some of us (well, Jeffrey, anyway) try to follow on our daily travails.

	Regards,
	Brad "The Inconvenient Truth" Jansen

	p.s.  That trade with Rich "Gets Richer" Robbins for Howie Kendrick, teen phenoms, et al. suggests some deprivation of oxygen occurred on your Sojourn....please double check your cognitive skills--I think Jeffrey has some exams for you!!

Sidley Austin LLP mail server made the following annotations on 07/21/08, 15:58:56:
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with certain U.S. Treasury regulations, we inform you
that, unless expressly stated otherwise, any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
communication, including attachments, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on such
taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service.  In addition, if any such tax advice is used or referred
to by other parties in promoting, marketing or recommending any partnership or other entity,
investment plan or arrangement, then (i) the advice should be construed as written in connection
with the promotion or marketing by others of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this
communication and (ii) the taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular
circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

immediately.