[USML Announce] Nails in the Coffin

Mark Blocker mbblocker at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 11:05:08 EDT 2008

Manual moves and calculations would be a nightmare, so lets not even go
there.

In any event, the race is just about over.  Rich could pull a 2 point swing
in RBIs, but the ERA and ratio points are gone (which was Rich's win
scenario), which gives Doug a one point margin of victory.

Some numbers.  Rich's current ratio is 1.29426.  Andy's ratio is 1.28462, a
full .01 in front.  Andy has two starters going today.  In order for that
margin to be overcome, Andy's starters would have to give up 14 base runners
without pitching an inning for Rich to gain the point.  If both of Andy's
starters went 5 innings each, they would have to give up 26 base runners
total for Rich to get the point.  So absent an epic collapse by Andy's
pitchers (which seems unlikely because both pitch for Boston and if things
are rocky Boston will just shut them down), the best Rich can do is to trail
Doug by one point.

Rich, you ran an excellent campaign and had a great run.  Doug, you are a
deserving champion if you hold on today (now will you stop calling me?)