[USML Announce] Corky's Revenge: A Miller's Tale, by Jeffrey Winick

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:50:23 EDT 2009

   Dear lads, I know how boring this season is becoming, but never fear I am
hear to amuse and enlighten you with an occasional portrait of unsung roto
heroes.  (And never mind my quest to get a single point in each roto
category.)

   Today I want to talk ever so briefly about Riptorns backstop Corky
Miller. As you know, I am quite the expert on catchers.  After all,
why would I possibly trade the likes of Vernon Wells and Maggs Ordonez for a
minor league catcher if I didn't think he'd be twice as good as as that
other hot catching prospect, Jeff Clement--and, at $3 more in salary, Matt
the Bat Wieters *better* be twice as good.

   You know, I used to mock the Riptorns' strategy of spending $2-$4 on
crappy catchers at the draft, then blowing another $15 in FAAB to replace
them.  But this year, I understand the wisdom of their ways.  Look at Corky
Miller, please.  With a torso even wider than White Sox legend Mark "Chief"
Salas, Corky may not be pretty on the eyes, but his numbers sure look good
in the stat column.  One-tenth of the season has passed us by, yet Mr.
Miller still retains a robust .333 batting average, having tallied 4
runs while driving in 3.  Compare those numbers to those of Joltin' Joe
Mauer, let alone my Matt Wieters. The man can rake.  And it's these type of
players that make it fun to comb the box score every week or so,
looking hopefully for a contribution by...an unsung roto hero.

  On Deck: Felix Pie: What Can I Say?

  And that is all.
         Jeffrey H. Winick