[USML Announce] Corky's Revenge: A Miller's Tale, by Jeffrey Winick

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Mon Apr 27 10:10:49 EDT 2009

So Brad, I see that with June right around the corner, you have already begun the pump-and-dump talk about the value-less players you would like to unload now (Corkie, Pie, others?), to be followed -- I am certain -- by the pump-and-dump about the collection of deep, deep, deep minor leaguers sitting on your reserve roster -- none of whom are guys like Wieters and Price who will be up in the majors shortly, and whose value, if any, is in the way distant future.

Let me help you out here, free of charge.  The reason you are lamenting what you call a "boring" season is that you are not offering in trade any of the real major leaguers on your roster that might draw some modest interest (by the way, over at Bombers Central, we think this is the least boring season in years).  If you want to do that, go ahead and see if you can make things interesting.  If not, dial me up and I can help you ease your pain for this year.

  -- Mark B.

P.S.  Did you see that Masterson lad throwing his 95 mph smoke last night?  Or were you too busy focusing on his 2.76 ERA and 1.28 WHIP?

________________________________

	From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of Brad Jansen
	Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:49 AM
	To: USML Announcements
	Subject: [USML Announce] Corky's Revenge: A Miller's Tale, by Jeffrey Winick

	   Dear lads, I know how boring this season is becoming, but never fear I am hear to amuse and enlighten you with an occasional portrait of unsung roto heroes.  (And never mind my quest to get a single point in each roto category.)

	   Today I want to talk ever so briefly about Riptorns backstop Corky Miller. As you know, I am quite the expert on catchers.  After all, why would I possibly trade the likes of Vernon Wells and Maggs Ordonez for a minor league catcher if I didn't think he'd be twice as good as as that other hot catching prospect, Jeff Clement--and, at $3 more in salary, Matt the Bat Wieters better be twice as good.

	   You know, I used to mock the Riptorns' strategy of spending $2-$4 on crappy catchers at the draft, then blowing another $15 in FAAB to replace them.  But this year, I understand the wisdom of their ways.  Look at Corky Miller, please.  With a torso even wider than White Sox legend Mark "Chief" Salas, Corky may not be pretty on the eyes, but his numbers sure look good in the stat column.  One-tenth of the season has passed us by, yet Mr. Miller still retains a robust .333 batting average, having tallied 4 runs while driving in 3.  Compare those numbers to those of Joltin' Joe Mauer, let alone my Matt Wieters. The man can rake.  And it's these type of players that make it fun to comb the box score every week or so, looking hopefully for a contribution by...an unsung roto hero.

	  On Deck: Felix Pie: What Can I Say?

	  And that is all.
	         Jeffrey H. Winick

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with certain U.S. Treasury regulations, we inform you
that, unless expressly stated otherwise, any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
communication, including attachments, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on such
taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service. In addition, if any such tax advice is used or referred
to by other parties in promoting, marketing or recommending any partnership or other entity,
investment plan or arrangement, then (i) the advice should be construed as written in connection
with the promotion or marketing by others of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this
communication and (ii) the taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular
circumstances from an independent tax advisor.
immediately.